London is a city that is brimming with culture, history, and entertainment. If you’re planning a trip and want to make the most of your time, here are the top things to do in the city.
- Visit the Tower of London: This iconic castle is one of London’s most popular attractions, with a history dating back over 900 years. Take a tour with one of the famous Yeoman Warders, also known as Beefeaters, and learn about the castle’s role as a royal palace, prison, and treasury. Be sure to visit the Crown Jewels, which are housed inside the castle walls.
- See a show in the West End: The West End is London’s theater district, and it is home to some of the most popular and beloved shows in the world. From long-running productions like “The Lion King” and “Les Miserables” to newer hits like “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child,” there is something for everyone. Be sure to book your tickets in advance to secure your spot.
- Take in the views from the London Eye: The London Eye is a giant Ferris wheel on the South Bank of the River Thames, offering stunning views of the city. Take a ride in one of the glass capsules and see landmarks like Big Ben, the Shard, and St. Paul’s Cathedral. For an even more memorable experience, book a private capsule or visit at sunset for a romantic view of the city.
- Explore the British Museum: The British Museum is a world-renowned institution that houses millions of artifacts from around the globe. Spend a few hours wandering the galleries and learning about the history of humanity. Some of the must-see exhibits include the Rosetta Stone, the Elgin Marbles, and the Egyptian mummies.
- Visit Buckingham Palace: Buckingham Palace is the official residence of the Queen of England and a symbol of the British monarchy. Watch the Changing of the Guard ceremony outside the palace gates, or tour the State Rooms during the summer months. Be sure to snap a photo with the palace’s famous balcony, where the royal family often appears for public events.
- Stroll through Hyde Park: Hyde Park is a large central London park that offers a chance to escape the hustle and bustle of the city. Rent a rowboat on the Serpentine, go for a hike, or visit the famous Speakers’ Corner. In the summer, you can also enjoy concerts and other events in the park.
- Shop on Oxford Street: Oxford Street is one of the busiest shopping streets in the world, with over 300 stores to choose from. Shop for high-end brands, budget-friendly fashion, or souvenirs to take home. Don’t miss the famous department store Selfridges, which is known for its extravagant window displays.
- See a concert at the O2 Arena: The O2 Arena is a state-of-the-art venue that hosts concerts, sporting events, and other performances. Check the schedule and see if your favorite artist is playing while you’re in town. The O2 is easily accessible by public transportation and is located in the trendy Greenwich neighborhood.
- Take a tour of the Houses of Parliament: The Houses of Parliament are home to the UK’s government and offer tours that give you a behind-the-scenes look at this iconic building. During the tour, you’ll see the historic debating chambers and learn about the history and functions of Parliament.
- Go on a pub crawl: London is famous for its pubs, and a pub crawl is a great way to experience the city’s nightlife. Choose a route through some of the city’s most historic or lively neighborhoods, such as Soho or Shoreditch, and sample the local brews. Many pubs also serve food, so you can make a night of it by having dinner and drinks.
These are just a few suggestions for things to do in London, and there are countless other activities and attractions to choose from. Whether you’re interested in history, culture, or just having a good time, London has something for everyone. Start planning your trip today and discover all that this amazing city has to offer.